WTOL - Content Manager
Part of our leadership team that oversees daily operations, long-term strategic story planning, and content guidance. Specifically, this position processes, distributes, and manages news assignments in a multi-media news environment serving content on broadcast television, websites, mobile apps, and social media platforms. Successful Content Managers plan story assignments, coordinate resources such as reporters & photographers, manages station live feeds, and ensures all deadlines are met. Also assists in creating work schedules and maintaining beat system.
Duties and responsibilities
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answers all incoming calls and processes incoming leads from a variety of external and internal sources
- Manages employees on the desk, if applicable
- Evaluates, produces, and disseminates or "assigns" incoming information to appropriate staff members to ensure timely delivery of story content to our audience on multiple platforms
- Self-generates or "writes" content for multiple platforms whenever time allows, such as for digital posts and social media using copywriting/video/photo/live feed as appropriate
- Exercises a high level of discretion to determine best use and prioritization of resources, including time, to deliver content appropriately in time-sensitive situations
- Coordinates crew logistics with Operations Manager. Assigns crews in absence of Operations Manager.
- ENPS – Proficient use of planning calendar. Consistent "rolodex" update-- including electronic. Consistent entry/updates of pertinent news stories through press releases, news tips and follow ups from daily stories. Mandatory entry of all phone numbers, addresses and other contact information from stories.
- Public Records – Daily use of public record sites to assist with stories. Regular FOIA submissions for 911 calls, mug shots, dash cam, body camera video, surveillance video from homes/business in association with story, dispatch recordings, personnel recordings, suspect information, victim information.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or related field.
- At least seven years of experience in journalism, media or related fields.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize complex tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good news judgement and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Ability to communicate effectively written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with news sources.
- Social media or digital experience, preferred.
- Field Reporting experience, preferred.
To ensure safe completion of all required job duties, this job regularly requires the following physical demands of employees in this position
- Ability to work shifts of at least 8 hours, and occasionally longer, 5 days per week
- Ability to sit and stand for prolonged periods
- Ability to interact with employees and customers in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to provide effective creative direction for video, audio and graphic design projects
- Ability to use a computer for tasks such as communicating via email, preparing reports and editing video.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
Qualified applicants, please apply online and attach your resume and cover letter. Candidate must successfully complete pre-employment drug screen. No phone calls please. EOE-M/F/D/V