WTOL - Weekend Content Editor
Specifically, this position processes, distributes, and manages news assignments in a multi-media news environment serving content on television, websites, mobile apps, and social media platforms. Successful Content Editors assist in planning story assignments; coordinating resources such as reporters, photographers and multi-media journalists; managing station live feeds, and ensuring deadlines are met. Also assists in creating work schedules and maintaining beat system.
Duties and responsibilities
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answers all incoming calls and processing incoming leads from a variety of external and internal sources.
- Evaluates, produces, and disseminates or "assigns" incoming information to appropriate staff members to ensure timely delivery of story content to our audience on multiple platforms.
- Self-generates or "writes" content for multiple platforms whenever time allows, such as for digital posts and social media using copywriting/video/photo/live feed as appropriate.
- Exercises a high level of discretion to determine best use and prioritization of resources, including time, to deliver content appropriately in time-sensitive situations.
- Coordinates crew logistics with Operations Manager, and assigns crews in absence of Operations Manager.
- Proficient use of planning calendar in ENPS or other platform. Consistent updating of contract files and consistent entry/updates of pertinent news stories from press releases, news tips and follow ups from daily stories. Mandatory entry of all phone numbers, addresses and other contact information from stories.
- Public record access including daily use of public record sites to assist with stories. Regular FOIA submissions for 911 calls, mug shots, dash cam, body camera video, surveillance video from homes/business in association with story, dispatch recordings, personnel recordings, suspect information, victim information.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or related field.
- Two years of experience (preferred) in journalism, media or related fields.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize complex tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good news judgement and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Ability to communicate effectively written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with news sources.
- Social media or digital experience, preferred.
- Field Reporting experience, preferred.
To ensure safe completion of all required job duties, this job regularly requires the following physical demands of employees in this position
Qualifed applicants, apply online (Raycom Media Careers) and attach resume and links to your most recent work. No phone calls please. EOE-M/F/D/V